Every Christmas, I quite enjoy spending (at least) a day in the kitchen knocking up some sweet goodies to share with family, friends and colleagues. This year, I did a few different things: two-tone lavender marshmallow, chocolate cookies, salted caramel and date brownies, and an epic rocky road.
The epicness of the rocky road was entirely by accident when I had a brain fart (also known as a lapse in concentration). I made up a batch of rose marshmallow, a batch of honeycomb (I used this recipe without the chocolate drizzle), toasted some almonds and had some chocolate ready to combine it all. I had a silly moment where I thought I didn’t have much cream left in a container and then thought, “I know, I’ll make the chocolate easier to cut, but adding just a little bit of cream”.
Firstly, I’m not sure why I thought that was a good idea at all and secondly, I’m not sure why I just ‘dumped’ the remaining contents of the cream into the bowl of melted chocolate. Of course, when I did that, it turned immediately into ganache. That’s fine if you’re icing a cake or something, not making rocky road!
My brain stopped farting and went into trouble shooting mode. Here’s my method:
- I added toasted almonds and some chopped up dates to the ganache.
- Melted a packet of white chocolate and spread it all over the bottom and sides of the tin I had prepared earlier. This tin is quite large and high, any size would do. However, if I were to do this again, I would have two smaller tins.
- Added a layer of the homemade rose marshmallow and honeycomb.
- Added the ganache, in one thick layer to cover the bottom layers completely.
- This was followed by another layer of the homemade rose marshmallow and honeycomb.
- Then I melted what chocolate I had left and poured it over the top (thank goodness it was about two bags).
By this stage, the tin I had could most definitely take no more rocky road goodness and it was time to let it cool on the bench before popping it in the fridge overnight.
When I took it out in the morning, I think it took me about 40 minutes to cut it all up, because it was hard and thick! As expected, it was insanely rich too.
So, what did I put in it?
- 4 x 375 gram bags chocolate (any type you like)
- Bag of marshmallows (I made my own, but you don’t have to)
- Batch of honeycomb
- Small packet of slivered almonds, toasted
- Half small bag of dates, chopped
- 1/2 cup cream
To (accidentally) make your ganache:
- Melt a bag of chocolate (I do half milk, half dark).
- When it has melted, add your cream and mix.
- When you’ve realized that you’ve stuffed up, have a mini meltdown.
- Add the almonds and dates.
Does anyone want a marshmallow recipe?
Let me know how you go and enjoy!